NMSU: Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
New Mexico State University
Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
 
spcr


Departmental History

Electrical engineering courses were first offered at NMSU in 1897, as part of the mechanical engineering program when NMSU was still New Mexico A&M.  In 1907, electrical engineering achieved the status of a separate program, but still within the Department of Mechanical Engineering, with the classes being taught by ME professors. In 1914 Ralph W. Goddard (a distant cousin of rocketry pioneer Robert H. Goddard) was hired to head the newly formed Department of Electrical Engineering, beginning a tradition of strong leadership which has continued, unbroken to this day. Five EE department heads became deans of the College of Engineering, three of whom held both positions simultaneously!

The department has grown and diversified its teaching and research emphasis over the years. Among the milestones along the way:

  • 1914 The Department of Electrical Engineering is created.
  • 1932 Melvin A. Thomas finds himself alone, as the only EE professor.
  • 1934 EE moves into the newly built Goddard Hall.
  • 1938 The department is nationally accredited.
  • 1947 C. Donald "Doc" Crosno is hired, the first PhD faculty member.
  • 1952 The Master of Science in Engineering degree is offered.
  • 1960 New Mexico A&M becomes NMSU.
  • 1961 The Doctor of Science in Engineering degree is offered.
  • 1972 Thomas & Brown Hall becomes the new EE home.
  • 1973 EE becomes Electrical and Computer Engineering.
  • 1990 The Chair for Telemetering and Telecommunications is established with Dr. Frank Carden as its first holder. The Chair is later renamed the Frank Carden Chair for Telemetering and Telecommunications.
  • 1995 In recognition of its size, scope, and prestige, the department is renamed the Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in honor of Paul Klipsch, a long time supporter of the department, founder of Klipsch and Associates, and a 1926 graduate of the department.
  • 1998 Harold A. "Prof" Brown dies, endowing numerous scholarships.
  • 2001 A remodeled Goddard Hall reopens to house the communications, telemetry, electro-optics, and signal processing programs.
  • 2001 The PNM Chair in Electric Utility Management is established with Prof. Kersting as its first holder.
  • 2002 The first Klipsch Professorships are awarded to Drs. Giles, Ng, Ramirez-Angulo, and Ranade.
  • 2007 Dr. David Voelz is named a Klipsch Professor.
  • 2008 Dr. Charles Creusere is named as the first recipient of the newly-established International Foundation for Telemetering Professorship in Telemetering and Telecommunications.